Escape to Paradise: Northcliff Cedar Haven, Johannesburg's Hidden Gem

Northcliff Cedar Haven Johannesburg South Africa

Northcliff Cedar Haven Johannesburg South Africa

Escape to Paradise: Northcliff Cedar Haven, Johannesburg's Hidden Gem

Okay, buckle up buttercups, because we're about to dive headfirst into Escape to Paradise: Northcliff Cedar Haven, or as I'm now affectionately calling it, Jozi's little slice of heaven (with a slight asterisk, as you'll soon see). I just stayed there, and let me tell you, the experience was… well, let's just say it had more twists than a particularly juicy episode of The Real Housewives of Joburg.

First off, for the SEO obsessed, here's the lowdown: Northcliff Cedar Haven, Johannesburg accommodation, accessible hotel, spa Johannesburg, swimming pool, free Wi-Fi, luxury Johannesburg, couples retreat, family-friendly hotel, restaurant, Northcliff hotels. Got that? Good. Now, let's get messy…

Accessibility: The Good, The Slightly Confusing, and The "Hmm…"

Alright, let's be real. As someone who, let's just say, appreciates a good level of comfort (especially when I'm lugging my overflowing Samsonite), accessibility is hugely important. Northcliff Cedar Haven says it’s doing the right thing, and they do tick off the Facilities for disabled guests box, which is a start. There's an Elevator to help with the hills - THANK GOD - I saw a few couples struggling up the winding staircases with their luggage. The CCTV in common areas and CCTV outside property made me feel safe, which is always a plus.

However, and this is a big "however", specifics are… vague. While it's listed that there are accessible elements, I didn't personally experience the nitty-gritty details, so I can't give you a definite "Yes, it's a breeze!" or "Run like hell!" It's a check-in/out [express] which helps but I prefer Check-in/out [private] for people with disabilities. So, I'd strongly advise calling ahead and grilling them about the specific ramp access, bathroom setups, and whether the pool actually has a lift, because, let's be honest, some places just list it without much thought. The exterior corridor is an advantage for those with mobility issues.

Internet: Praise the Wi-Fi Gods!

Okay, this is important: Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! And get this: Internet access – wireless and Internet access – LAN too! My inner digital demon did a happy dance. Yes, in this day and age, it seems obvious, but trust me, I've stayed in places where the Wi-Fi was slower than a snail in molasses. The Internet services were also pretty good.

Things to Do, Ways to Relax…And the Spa Experience That Almost Broke Me (in a good way)

Right, so they boast about the Spa, and THAT, my friends, is where things get interesting. They have the Body scrub, Body wrap, Foot bath, Gym/fitness…the usual suspects. But I’m here to tell you about the massage. I opted for the ‘stress melt’ – which sounds absolutely right up my alley, yes?

Now, I’m not going to lie; I arrived at the spa looking like a crumpled piece of paper. Months of deadlines, dodgy coffee, and the general chaos of life had taken their toll. I remember thinking "I better just go in, get the treatment and leave" but the moment you walked through the door, the gentle aromas of essential oils, the soft lighting, the silence… it was like stepping into a different dimension. The therapist was a total pro. She somehow knew exactly where my knots were hiding (apparently my shoulders were doing a conga line). I started to feel something real, powerful, something… good. Then, as my muscles started to surrender, and the warmth spread, some unexpected tears welled up in my eyes. Not a torrent, but a quiet, soul-soothing release. It was the best massage I've ever had, 100%. So, yeah, the spa? Worth every single Rand.

Dining, Drinking, and Snacking: The Foodie's Field Report

Right, so the food. Northcliff Cedar Haven has the goods. They have a Restaurant and a Poolside bar, and a Snack bar that keeps the hunger at bay. The Breakfast [buffet] was a treat: Western breakfast and Asian breakfast - that's some good International cuisine in restaurant. And the Coffee/tea in restaurant was excellent, by the way.

The Restaurants are also great, offering a variety of options. I’m a sucker for a good soup, and their Soup in restaurant was a lifesaver after a long day. I also enjoyed taking a dip in the Pool with view with one of their Poolside bar drinks.

There's Room service [24-hour], which is a GODSEND for those late-night pizza cravings (guilty!). And hey, they have Happy hour, which is always a bonus. They have the Bottle of water, which is essential. They even offer Vegetarian restaurant options, which shows they're thinking about everyone.

Cleanliness and Safety: The Sanitization Station

Okay, look, these days, we all care about cleanliness. And Northcliff Cedar Haven takes it seriously. They've got Anti-viral cleaning products, Daily disinfection in common areas, Room sanitization between stays, Hand sanitizer stations everywhere – the works. Felt safe and sound, which is a huge plus.

Services and Conveniences: The Little Luxuries

They've got everything! Air conditioning in public area is a must. Daily housekeeping? Yes, please! Concierge? They're on it. Not to mention things like Dry cleaning, and Laundry service. They've even got an Ironing service. Super convenient.

For the Kids: Family-Friendly Fun?

They're listing Babysitting service and Family/child friendly features. I didn't see many kids running around, so again, worth checking with them in advance to get the exact details on kids facilities. I am assuming Kids meal is also available.

The Rooms: Cozy Comforts and a Few Quirks

My room? Pretty darn nice. They have standard Non-smoking rooms, but they also have, Soundproof rooms which are ideal for a good night's sleep. They have Air conditioning, yeah! Plenty of Additional toilet, Bathrobes, Closet, Coffee/tea maker, Daily housekeeping made the stay smooth. I had a comfy desk, and a Free bottled water. The Mini bar was stocked, and the Refrigerator was perfect.

However… and here comes the quirky bit. The dĂ©cor? Well, let’s just say it’s… eclectic. You had this stunning sunset over the Northcliff ridge, the crisp, mountain air, and then – BAM – a slightly vintage mirror in the bathroom. It's part of the charm, I guess! They had a Separate shower/bathtub, which I loved.

Getting Around: The Practicalities

They offer Airport transfer which is the best. Free Car park [free of charge] is always a win. They have Taxi service, but it's probably better to arrange it in advance.

Quirks and Imperfections: What You Should Know

No place is perfect. While charming, the hotel, at times, feels a bit like a well-loved antique, and it sometimes shows – not in a bad way, just a vintage kind of way(aka some of the furniture is a little worn). I had a small issue with the bathtub draining a little bit slowly, and the room service sometimes took a while. But, honestly, the warmth and service of the staff more than made up for these tiny blips.

The Verdict: Should You Escape?

YES. If you're looking for a comfortable, relaxing, and easily accessible escape in Johannesburg with an amazing massage, Northcliff Cedar Haven is absolutely worth a stay.

The Pitch: Your Escape Awaits!

Forget the hustle! Book your stay at Escape to Paradise: Northcliff Cedar Haven, and I promise you, you’ll leave feeling completely refreshed. Take advantage of their spa, swimming pool, and incredible restaurants!

Here's a special offer:

  • Mention this review and get a free welcome drink at the poolside bar!
  • For a limited time, book a stay and get a 20% discount on your first spa treatment!
  • Free Wi-Fi, free parking, and the best views in Johannesburg, guaranteed.

Click here to book your escape today! You deserve it. You really, really do.

Escape to Paradise: Your Dream Bali Stay at Gusti Homestay

Book Now

Northcliff Cedar Haven Johannesburg South Africa

Northcliff Cedar Haven Johannesburg South Africa

Okay, buckle up buttercups, because this isn't your sanitized, Insta-perfect travel blog. This is the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth (mostly, okay, fine, embellished a bit for dramatic effect) about conquering Northcliff and that Cedar Haven place in the heart of Jozi. Get ready for beautiful chaos.

The Grand (and Slightly Disorganized) Northcliff & Cedar Haven Adventure: A Messy Itinerary

Day 1: Touchdown and That Initial Jaw-Drop (and Coffee Crisis)

  • Morning (like, brutally early): Land at OR Tambo. Ugh. Airports. The perfect blend of stale air, overpriced coffee, and existential dread. But! South Africa! Breathe, you traveler! First, navigating the baggage claim – a ballet of suitcases and stressed-out people. Mine? Pray it made it. Seriously, my dignity (and a few clean socks) depend on it. Finally. Success!
  • Getting to Northcliff: Pre-booked (thank God!) a shuttle. The driver, bless his heart, was an older gentleman named Themba with a smile as wide as the African sky. He pointed things out, told me about the history of Jozi, and generally charmed the socks off me. Except… the traffic. Oh, the traffic! Johannesburg is a city that moves. We crawled, we stopped, we edged forward. Patience, grasshopper. Patience.
  • Arrival at Cedar Haven Guest House: Okay, WOW. Seriously. Pictures don't do it justice. (Yes, I took pictures. I'm a clichĂ©.) Lush gardens, a sparkling pool, and the smell of… something delicious cooking. Instant sigh of relief. The owner, a woman named Brenda with a booming laugh, greeted me like family. I felt immediately welcomed.
  • Lunch: Settled in, unpacked (or attempted, more like threw things around), and then… the food. Oh, the food! Brenda's cooking, she said proudly, was "like a hug on a plate." She wasn't wrong. This was the start of the best food in the whole trip.
  • Afternoon: Mandatory Chill and a Near-Disaster with the Wifi: Seriously, who doesn't need a nap after a long haul flight? But first: Wifi. Tried connecting. Failed. Begged Brenda. She chuckled. "It has a mind of its own, that thing." Eventually, after a strategic repositioning of my laptop (and a little prayer), it worked. Thank you, universe. Then: nap. Glorious, guilt-free nap.
  • Evening: Sunset cocktails by the pool. Utter perfection. Just when I thought this getaway couldn't be any better. Swallowing down my last mouthful, Brenda came out bearing a tray of nibbles. I felt like I was in a home rather than a guest house.

Day 2: Exploring Northcliff… and Getting Lost (and loving it!)

  • Morning: Brenda makes a breakfast that will make your eyes roll back in your head (in a good way). Fresh fruit, fluffy eggs, crispy bacon… basically, heaven. Energized, I'm taking on Northcliff.
  • The Northcliff Ridge Eco Park: Oh yeah. This is one of those "must-do" things. The views are stunning. You can see the city sprawl below, the rolling hills… it's breathtaking. And I, being me, took a wrong turn and ended up basically bushwhacking for 20 minutes. Let's just say my ankles and my sense of direction took a beating. But! Found a new path, got my bearings, and enjoyed the heck out of the panoramic views.
  • Lunch: Found a cute little cafĂ© in Northcliff called "The Little Breadbox." Sandwich. Coffee. People-watching. Absolutely idyllic. They had amazing scone.
  • Afternoon: The Cresta Shopping Centre Debacle: Okay, I'm not much for shopping malls, but I needed something. The Cresta Shopping Centre is HUGE. Like, labyrinthine. I wandered around, got distracted by a shop selling quirky jewelry, and then completely lost my way. Spent a good hour wandering aimlessly. But hey - found a fantastic bookstore, and picked up a few books. That's a win, right? Right.
  • Evening: Back at Cedar Haven. Brenda had prepared a braai (barbecue). Meat grilled to perfection, delicious sides, and great conversation with the other guests. I honestly felt part of something special.
  • The Braai Experience: Let's be honest, the braai deserves its own section. The smell of burning wood, the sizzling meat, the laughter, the sheer communal joy of it all… it's a South African institution for a reason. The food, the atmosphere, everything was just so good. Had to stop myself from going back up for seconds… or thirds.

Day 3: Digging Deep (and Finding More Food)

  • Morning: History Lesson: Brenda had recommended visiting the Apartheid Museum. I can't lie, it was hard. Heartbreaking. Gut-wrenching. But absolutely necessary. It's a powerful reminder of a difficult past, and it gave me a new appreciation for the resilience of the people. Walking through it was tough. But you come out with.
  • Lunch: Needed comfort food after the museum. Found a little place in Auckland Park serving traditional pap and stew. Simple, filling, and so very, very good. Almost as good as Brenda's cooking. Almost.
  • Afternoon: A Moment of Tranquility (then total chaos): Back at Cedar Haven, I decided to spend some time by the pool, reading my book (the one I bought at Cresta). Ah, peaceful, right? Wrong. A flock of noisy birds decided to make the trees their temporary residence. They were unbelievably loud!
  • Evening: Another amazing meal back at Cedar Haven. Brenda even taught me a few Afrikaans phrases. I butchered them, of course, but she didn't mind. Her patience is boundless.

Day 4: The Day of the Unexpected… and Departure

  • Morning: Packing, sadly. Trying to squeeze everything back into that suitcase. Then, a sudden downpour! Johannesburg weather is famously unpredictable. Spent an hour or so sheltering under Cedar Haven's porch, feeling utterly content despite the rain. It was the perfect ending.
  • Departure: That shuttle driver, Themba, was waiting for me. The drive to the airport was quick. Saying goodbye to Brenda was emotional. I am not a crier, but I think a tear may have escaped my eye.

Final Thoughts (and a Rant-ish Section):

This trip wasn't perfect. My perfectly planned itinerary went out the window about five minutes after I landed. I got lost. I burned myself on the braai. My wifi was spotty. But it was… perfect. The honest-to-goodness beauty of the landscape, the realness of the history, the warmth of the people, the food… Oh, the food! Johannesburg and Cedar Haven stole a piece of my heart. The sheer joy of the braai, the beauty of the sights, and the realness of the people, it's enough to make you shed a single tear.

This is what travel is all about. Embracing the mess, the unexpected, and the imperfections. And finding the beauty and the joy in every single moment.

Now, where's my passport? I'm already planning my return!

Escape to Paradise: Your Dream Modern Retreat Awaits in Germany's Feldberger Seenlandschaft

Book Now

Northcliff Cedar Haven Johannesburg South Africa

Northcliff Cedar Haven Johannesburg South Africa

Alright, spill the beans! Is Northcliff Cedar Haven *actually* a hidden gem, or just some cleverly marketed brochure fluff?

Okay, honest moment here. I went in with HIGH expectations. "Hidden gem," right? My inner cynical Jozi (Johannesburg) voice practically groaned. I've seen 'hidden gems' that were basically slightly less dilapidated versions of what I call 'rustic' apartments. But... *sigh*... Cedar Haven actually *kinda* lives up to the hype. It's not perfect. (More on that later... trust me.) But the feeling when you arrive? You actually *do* feel like you've stumbled onto a secret. The gate closes behind you, and the chaos of Joburg just… fades. It’s the kind of place where you immediately want to shed your shoes and pour yourself a G&T. (I may or may not have done precisely that.)

What's the *deal* with these cedar trees? Is it just a name, or am I gonna be smelling like a lumberjack?

Okay, so the cedar trees are... well, they're *there*. And they're beautiful! They're all over the place, actually. You *definitely* get the scent, especially after a rain. It’s not overwhelming, like you’ve been dunked in a cedar-scented candle. It's more subtle, grounding. Think of it as a really fancy, all-natural air freshener. And honestly? The view from the main lodge, framed by those trees? Instagrammable. Literally. I saw people *actually* Instagramming it. (Including me, don't judge.)

Let's talk rooms. What's the vibe? Boutique hotel glam, or more... "rustic charm?" (Read: leaky tap and questionable upholstery?)

Right, ROOMS. Okay, this is where we get… *real*. It's not five-star luxury. Get that out of your head *now*. There IS a certain… "rustic charm." (Trying to be polite here). The decor is a bit…eclectic. Think comfy couches, mismatched cushions, and walls adorned with… stuff. Art? Found objects? A bit of both. The bathroom in my room *did* have a slightly temperamental showerhead. (Which, after a long day of navigating Joburg traffic, almost sent me over the edge, honestly. I just wanted a hot shower!) But, the bed? Glorious. Seriously, I could have slept for a week in that bed. And the views from the balcony? Unbelievable. So… rustic charm with AMAZING bed. Makes sense? (Mostly)

The 'Escape to Paradise' part… does the *food* live up to the promise?

Okay, FOOD. This is important. I’m a foodie at heart. I *need* good food. The breakfast spread? Decent. Standard. Yogurt, fruit, some hot dishes. Nothing earth-shattering, but perfectly acceptable. The dinner? Now, THAT'S where things get interesting. They had a braai (barbecue) the evening I stayed. (This is South Africa, after all!). The meat was cooked to perfection. Perfectly seasoned. Juicy. I may have had seconds. (Don't tell anyone.) The salads were fresh, and the atmosphere? Magical, under the stars, surrounded by those damn cedar trees. Overall? Food's a solid YES. Not Michelin-star, but satisfying and delicious.

So, what's the *one thing* that absolutely made your stay worth it? Dig a little deeper.

Alright, this is where I get all mushy and sentimental, brace yourselves. Okay. It wasn't the fancy decor; it certainly wasn't the temperamental showerhead. For me, it was the *silence*. Proper, soul-soothing, Joburg-traffic-fading-away silence. I'm a city person. I love the buzz, the energy, the chaos. But sometimes… you just need to *breathe*. I spent an hour on the balcony, just staring at the view, listening to the birds, feeling the breeze. No emails. No phone calls. Just… *me*. And that, my friends, is worth more than any five-star hotel could offer. That feeling is what makes it a "hidden gem" (even if the showerhead did try to ruin it). It's a genuine escape.

Any downsides? Give it to me straight.

Okay, the downsides. Firstly, the previously mentioned showerhead *issues*. It was a minor annoyance, but you need to be prepared for it to potentially test your patience. Also, the WiFi was a little spotty in my room. (Gotta be honest, this could have been a *good* thing. Forced digital detox...). And, and – it’s a *bit* of a drive. Not from everywhere in Joburg, but depending on traffic, it can take a while. Like, prepare yourself for traffic. Besides that, if you expect a gleaming, pristine, corporate experience, you might be disappointed. It’s got character, and that means some slightly rough edges.

Okay, I'm sold (mostly). Anything else I should know before booking?

A few quick things! * **Book in advance.** Seriously. It's popular, especially on weekends. * **Pack comfortable shoes.** You'll want to explore the grounds. Those views! * **BRING A BOOK.** Or ten. You'll *want* to relax. * **Be patient with the service.** It's South African. It's friendly, but can be a bit…relaxed. Embrace it! * **Don't go expecting perfection.** Go expecting a little piece of paradise, and you won't be disappointed. Seriously, go! Just go! And tell me what you think. I'm dying to know!

My Hotel Reviewst

Northcliff Cedar Haven Johannesburg South Africa

Northcliff Cedar Haven Johannesburg South Africa

Northcliff Cedar Haven Johannesburg South Africa

Northcliff Cedar Haven Johannesburg South Africa