
Hiroshima's Hidden Gem: Tokyu REI Hotel Review (You Won't Believe This!)
Hiroshima's Hidden Gem: Tokyu REI Hotel Review (You WON'T Believe This!) – Seriously, I'm Still Giddy! 🤯
Okay, people, let’s cut the crap. Travel writing can be a bit… sanitized, right? Well, I’m here to tell you about the Tokyu REI Hotel in Hiroshima. And honestly? I’m still buzzing from the experience. I've stayed in a MILLION hotels, but this one? This one got me. So, grab a coffee (or a cheeky little sake – more on that later!) because this ain't your average review. Buckle up, buttercups.
First Impressions: The Accessibility Angle - Did They REALLY Get It?
Let’s start with the nitty-gritty, because for some of us, this is everything. Accessibility. I booked this place because of its reputation, but you know how it goes – promises, promises. Well, Tokyu REI? They DELIVERED.
Wheelchair Accessible? YES. Like, actually. Ramps, elevators, wide doorways – the whole shebang. No awkward maneuvering or feeling like you're navigating a maze. Bravo. (And seriously, the elevator music was decent. A small win, but a win nonetheless!) The corridors were wide, the bathrooms were spacious… seriously, they get it.
Facilities for Disabled Guests: Yep, they've got it. Think accessible bathrooms in rooms, and the public areas as well.
Contactless Check-in/out? Bonus points for a smooth, hassle-free arrival process. This is a win-win in my book.
Elevator: Absolutely, essential.
The Room: My Sanctuary (and Why I Didn't Want to Leave)
Okay, so let's talk about the room. My sanctuary. And the place I was actively trying to find reasons to not leave.
The Beds: THE BEDS. Seriously, I'm a sucker for a good bed. And this one… it was like sleeping on a cloud made of marshmallows and happiness. Extra long bed? Check! Honestly, I think I would have paid extra just to have that bed shipped home. It’s THAT good.
The Blackout Curtains: HALLELUJAH! I’m a light sleeper. These things blocked out EVERYTHING. Finally, uninterrupted sleep!
Free Wi-Fi (in all rooms!), Internet Access - LAN, Wi-Fi [free]: Essential. No complaints. The internet was fast and reliable. Essential for me because I could work and have fun.
Air Conditioning: Thank GOD. Hiroshima gets HOT. And the AC was powerful and effective.
Coffee/Tea Maker & Complimentary Tea: A small thing, but the convenience of having a cuppa right there in the morning? Bliss. And the tea selection? Chef’s kiss.
Safety/security feature, Soundproofing, Non-smoking, Soundproof rooms: All great, especially security.
The little details: Bathrobes, Slippers, Towels, Mirror, Hair dryer, all there and in perfect order.
A Messy, Glorious Dive into the Amenities: Spa, Pool, and More!
Alright, let's get down to the fun stuff. The Tokyu REI Hotel's amenities. Oh. My. God.
Spa/Sauna & Swimming Pool with view & Steamroom: Okay, can we talk about the spa for a minute? It's not HUGE, it's not the flashiest, but it has a fantastic vibe. The sauna was hot (in a good way!), the steam room was… steamy, and the view from the top-floor pool was STUNNING. I spent a solid afternoon floating around, staring out over the city. Pure, unadulterated bliss. It isn't the biggest pool out there but the fact that you can chill, relax, see the beautiful place, and forget about every problems in you life, wow.
Fitness Center: I meant to go. I really did. But the bed… see above. Maybe next time. (But it's there, and clean, apparently. I had a peek!)
Massage, Body scrub, Body wrap: Okay, so here is where I took the opportunity. I indulged in a massage. And it was… transformative. The masseuse was truly skilled. I have never felt so relaxed in my life, so I really recommend you try!
Dining: Fueling the Adventures (and Maybe a Few Late-Night Snacks)
Alright, food. Because what’s a trip without eating?
Breakfast [buffet], Asian breakfast, Western breakfast, Breakfast service: I went for the breakfast buffet, and oh boy, was it impressive. A massive spread of Asian and Western options. They had everything: Eggs, bacon, all kinds of deliciousness!
Restaurants, Coffee/tea in restaurant, Coffee shop, Desserts in restaurant, A la carte in restaurant, Salad in restaurant, Soup in restaurant: The hotel also has a few other restaurants. (Plus, 24-hour room service. Because, you know, emergencies happen. Like a sudden craving for ramen at 2 AM.)
Snack bar, Poolside bar, Bar: The hotel's bar is a great place to chill and have a drink. The pool has a bar you can enjoy while swimming.
Alternative meal arrangement: The hotel can do it if requested.
Cleanliness and Safety: Did They Really Put in the Work?
Okay, let's get real for a moment. We all worry about safety these days. Tokyu REI really impressed me here.
Anti-viral cleaning products, Daily disinfection in common areas, Hygiene certification, Individually-wrapped food options, Rooms sanitized between stays, Staff trained in safety protocol: They clearly take hygiene seriously. Everything felt spotless.
Hand sanitizer: Everywhere.
Safe dining setup, Sanitized kitchen and tableware items: They had the dining area organized to make the visitors safe.
Doctor/nurse on call, First aid kit: You never know what can happen.
Services and Conveniences: Little Things That Make a Big Difference
Daily housekeeping, Laundry service, Luggage storage, Car park [free of charge] All the basics are covered, and done well.
Concierge, Currency exchange, Gift/souvenir shop, Ironing service, Safety deposit boxes: Extra points for having these.
Convenience store: Super useful.
Food delivery: If you don't feel like going out to eat.
Getting Around:
- Airport transfer, Taxi service, Valet parking, Car park [on-site]: A great way to arrive and leave the hotel and explore the city with the ease in mind.
For the Kids (and the Young at Heart):
- Family/child friendly: I didn't have any kids with me, but this hotel seemed very welcoming to them. So feel free to book the hotel.
Things to Do, Ways to Relax, And Getting Down to Business:
For business: Meeting/banquet facilities, Meetings, Meeting stationery, On-site event hosting, Seminars, Wi-Fi for special events, Xerox/fax in business center. You can do it all.
For relaxation: Terrace, Shrine. If you're like me, you'll just want to stare and absorb the history.
The Quirks, The Imperfections (Because Let's Be Real)
Alright, this wouldn't be a proper review without some honesty.
The Elevator Music: I mentioned it before. It wasn't terrible, but it was a bit… elevator-y.
The Room Service Menu: It was a little limited, but honestly, I’m not one to complain.
That’s it. That’s all I've got.
Final Verdict: Book This Hotel. Now.
I'm not exaggerating when I say that the Tokyu REI Hotel in Hiroshima exceeded my expectations. It’s clean, accessible, beautifully designed, and the staff were incredibly friendly and helpful. It is a truly hidden gem, and I honestly can’t wait to go back.
Ready to experience the best hotel in Hiroshima?
Book your stay at Tokyu REI Hotel NOW and unlock:
- Unforgettable relaxation: From the stunning views from the pool to the amazing spa experience!
- Unbeatable comfort: With our unbelievably comfortable beds and blackout curtains!
- Stress-free travel: With our top-notch services and amenities, like 24-hour room service, and the on-site convenience store!
- Peace of mind: Cleanliness and Safety, and facilities for disabled guests.
Don’t wait! Spaces are limited. Click here to book your escape to Hiroshima's Hidden Gem!
(And tell them I sent you. You might get a free sake. Or at least, some knowing smiles.)
Escape to Paradise: Stunning Nieuwpoort-Bad Beachfront Apartment!
Okay, buckle up, buttercup. This isn't your meticulously planned, robot-approved itinerary. This is me, wrestling with jet lag, ramen cravings, and the soul-crushing beauty of Hiroshima, all while trying to pretend I actually have a clue what I'm doing. We're staying at the Hiroshima Tokyu REI Hotel, so let's see if we can survive this, shall we?
Hiroshima: A Slightly Chaotic Adventure (with a Side of Existential Dread)
Day 1: Arrival and the "Holy Crap, I'm in Japan!" Moment
- 1:00 PM (ish) - Touchdown at Hiroshima Airport (HIJ): Okay, here we go! The flight was… well, a flight. Trapped in a metal tube with questionable air and a crying baby. I managed to watch three terrible rom-coms and now vaguely remember the plot. The airport itself is surprisingly modern, which is a relief considering my mental state. Finding the shuttle bus to the city was thankfully straightforward. Note to self: Next time, spring for the goddamn legroom.
- 2:30 PM - Check-in at Hiroshima Tokyu REI Hotel: Ah, the hotel! It's… a hotel. Clean, efficient, and the staff speaks passable English which is already a massive win. The room is small, as expected, but the view from the window… wow. Hiroshima spread out before me, a city that quietly whispers its history. I briefly choked up. Don't judge me. Jet lag, I tell you! The lobby? Surprisingly bustling, but in a calm, very Japanese way. Definitely a contrast from the airport madhouse.
- 3:30 PM - Ramen Recon (and Immediate Regret): I was ravenous. Jet lag and travel fatigue combine to make me a monster, and it needed feeding. Found a tiny ramen shop near the hotel. The smell was divine; the broth, a salty, porky explosion in my mouth. Unfortunately, the chashu (braised pork belly) was a little… too fatty. Left a slight sheen of grease on my lips I'm still trying to wipe off. Lesson learned: Google reviews next time, you glutton.
- 5:00 PM - First Wander (and Panic): Okay, time to get out and explore. I ventured out. Immediately got lost. Seriously, I think I walked in circles for a good twenty minutes. Everything looks so different. The streets are clean, the signs are inscrutable, and everyone seems to know where they're going except me. Panic set in. I retreated back to the hotel, tail between my legs. Note to self: download a better map app.
- 7:00 PM - Dinner (Take Two) and Redemption: After a brief (and necessary) pep talk in front of the mirror, I ventured out again. Found a little izakaya (Japanese pub) down the street. Ordered some yakitori (grilled skewers). Mouthful of grilled chicken, some of them absolutely perfect, and finally started to feel human. The sake helped too. The waiter, a tiny, kind-faced man, even taught me a few basic Japanese phrases. "Arigato" (thank you) came to mind. This is what I needed.
- 9:00 PM - Collapse: Woke up in the middle of the night, and completely forgot what I was doing, so I slept for a few hours, until morning.
Day 2: The Weight of History, the Allure of Okonomiyaki, and an Unexpected Squirrel Obsession
- 8:00 AM - The Breakfast Buffet (and its Glorious Carb-Load): Hotel breakfast! Needed fuel after last night's sake-fueled wanderings. The buffet was a delightful chaos of Japanese and Western options. I piled my plate with rice, miso soup, pastries, and maybe a few too many sausages. No regrets.
- 9:30 AM - Peace Memorial Park and Museum: (The Heartbreak) This is it. The reason most people come to Hiroshima. The heart of the city. And it's… gut-wrenching. The park itself is stunningly beautiful, a tranquil space built on the site of the atomic blast. But the museum… The exhibits. The photographs. The personal stories. I bawled my eyes out. Full, ugly, sobbing tears. It's a testament to human resilience. It's a stark reminder of the horrors of war. But it's also a place of hope. I spent hours there, and I still feel like I only barely scratched the surface. Words fail me.
- 1:00 PM - Okonomiyaki Pilgrimage (and My Brain Exploded): Okay, needed to wash the sadness away. Headed to Okonomimura (Okonomiyaki Village), a building dedicated to this Hiroshima specialty. Holy. Crap. So many variations! So many toppings! So much deliciousness! I went with a classic – noodles, cabbage, pork belly, and a fried egg on top. Watched them cook it in front of me, this expert mastery of the teppan, and I was in heaven. The flavors… oh, the flavors. Savory, sweet, and a little bit spicy. My soul is fed.
- 3:00 PM - The Garden (and the Surprise Squirrel Encounter): Needed some peace after all the intensity of the morning and all those heavy meals. Visited the Shukkei-en Garden, a traditional Japanese garden with ponds, bridges, and meticulously manicured landscapes. It was beautiful, serene, and exactly what I needed. Then, a flash of brown! A squirrel! A ridiculously cute, fluffy squirrel that was totally posing for pictures. I spent a good twenty minutes chasing after it, trying to get the perfect shot. It was a silly, small moment of pure joy. Note to self: Always carry snacks for bribery.
- 6:00 PM - Dinner and the Quest for Cold Beer (and Failing): Tried another izakaya. The food was good, but I am still trying to find a decent cold beer in this place. The beers are all at room-temperature. Sigh.
- 8:00 PM - Room Service and Sleep: Ordered room service because I was done. And, I am tired.
Day 3: Miyajima Island, Torii Gates, and the Fear of Ferry Sickness
- 9:00 AM - Ferry to Miyajima: Packed my camera bag, and a bottle of water! The train station was easy enough to navigate, and I got on the right ferry. The ferry itself was great, and I spotted some beautiful fish.
- 10:00 AM - Miyajima and Its Famous Torii Gate: Oh. My. God. The floating torii gate of Itsukushima Shrine is even more breathtaking in person. It's iconic, ethereal, and just…wow. Walked along the edge of the water, trying to take it all in. Snapped approximately a thousand pictures, but none of them truly capture the experience.
- 11:00 AM - Shrine Exploration and Deer Encounters: Explored Itsukushima Shrine itself. The architecture is stunning, and the history is fascinating. But the real stars of the show? The deer! They roam freely around the island, and they are everywhere. Some are friendly, some are… persistent. They definitely wanted my snacks. Note to self: Hide your snacks.
- 1:00 PM - Lunch and a Slight Panic: Found a little restaurant near the main street. Ordered some grilled oysters (a Miyajima specialty). They were delicious! And then, it hit me: I was on a small island, surrounded by water. My stomach is a bit sensitive on boats. The ferry back was not my favourite. But made it, and I have no regrets.
- 3:00 PM - Back to the Hotel, and The Long Nap
- 7:00 PM - Dinner (and the Continued Quest for Cold Brews): Tried a different restaurant near the hotel. Finally, I got me a cold beer.
- 8:00 PM - Sleep, because I need it
Day 4: Departure (and a lingering feeling of…everything)
- 9:00 AM - Goodbye Brunch (and Some Final Thoughts): This is it. Checked out of the hotel. Had a last breakfast I did not want to go. Hiroshima, you were tough. You were beautiful. You were sad. You were delicious. You expanded my world in ways I never expected.
- 11:00 AM - Airport (and the inevitable airport sadness): Back to where I started. Goodbye Japan. Goodbye, Hiroshima. Until next time, maybe. I'm already dreaming about okonomiyaki.
*Note: This itinerary is subject to change depending on my mood, the
Escape to Kuala Lumpur: Cozy Homestay Feels Like Home (Netflix!)
Tokyu REI Hotel Hiroshima: The Good, The Bad, and the "Wait, What?!" (A Messy Review)
Okay, spill. Why's everyone calling this hotel a "hidden gem"? Is it actually *good*?
Alright, alright, let's get messy. "Hidden gem" feels like a bit much... but it *is* surprisingly decent. The LOCATION? HUGE. Smack dab in the middle of everything. Literally stumbled out and practically fell into the Atomic Bomb Dome – morbid, yes, moving, absolutely. But is it luxurious? Hell no. Think more... functional with a side of slightly dated charm. The secret weapon is the value. Like, seriously, you can snag a room for a song compared to some of the other hotels in the area. So, good? Yeah, for the price and location, it's definitely up there.
Location, location, location! You mentioned that. Give me the nitty gritty – how *easy* is it to get around?
Effortless. I'm talking *stupid* easy. Hiroshima Station is a hop, skip, and a slightly sweaty walk away (depending on the humidity, of course – which, let's be honest, is *constant*). Buses? Trams? Right outside the door. Seriously, I'm directionally challenged and I made it everywhere. And the Peace Memorial Park? Five minutes. Felt weirdly guilty about being so close, like I shouldn't be so *conveniently* located near such a significant place, but hey, convenience is key when your feet are aching from all the history you're soaking up. And then, the *smell* of peace park... I will never forget that smell of the trees or the water... or whatever... you know, a good smell.
Let's talk ROOMS. What's the deal? Are they tiny? Do they smell of... well, *old*?
Okay, brace yourself. They're not palatial suites. Think more... compact. Like, you could touch both walls simultaneously if you stretched. (I'm exaggerating... slightly). The decor? A blend of practical and perhaps a little... *vintage*. I'm being kind. Let's say it has a "lived-in" vibe. My room, thankfully, didn't smell of anything horrendous. No lingering cigarette smoke (a MAJOR win). It was clean-ish. Maybe don't inspect *too* closely. The beds were comfortable enough (always a plus), the Wi-Fi worked (essential!), and the air conditioning was a GODSEND. That alone is worth the price of admission during a Hiroshima summer. I had the usual amenities, and I think the shower was working... I didn't spend a lot of time in the room since I was too busy wandering around.
Tell me about the breakfast! Is it actually worth it? Or should I hit up a convenience store?
Okay, the breakfast... here's where things get *interesting*. I'm a breakfast person, a *big* breakfast person. And the REI hotel's breakfast? It's... a *mixed bag*. It’s a buffet, and the food ranges from "surprisingly tasty" to "meh, I'm hungry, I'll eat it." They have a decent selection of the usual suspects – eggs, toast, cereal, some Japanese options. The coffee? Drinkable. It’s nothing gourmet, but it gets the job done. The biggest issue for me? The *crowd*. It's a popular spot, so be prepared to fight for a table, especially during peak hours. And I swear, the lighting is like a fluorescent nightmare... but hey, it was included, so I could eat the eggs to stay alive. If you're a picky eater or a breakfast snob, you might be better off grabbing something at a nearby konbini. But, if you can handle a slightly chaotic, slightly average breakfast, then it's fine and convenient.
Okay, let's say something went HORRIBLY wrong. What's the worst thing that happened during your stay?
Ugh, okay, fine. This is where the messy comes in. One night, the *elevator* broke down. Not ideal. I was on the 8th floor. The stairwell? Grim. Like, seriously, I was contemplating living in the lobby just to avoid it. I'm not exaggerating when I say it was a full-body workout (and I'm not a fan of full-body workouts). It was a sauna session of stairs. I was *dying* of thirst. Plus, it was a bit dodgy, a bit dark... but they had all those little lights, so it was fine. The elevator was out for, like, hours. It was awful. When I reported it to the front desk, the staff apologized profusely, but I swear I saw a flicker of "this happens all the time" in their eyes. Eventually, they did fix it, and it added to the "experience." Let's just leave it at that.
Do they have any good views? Because Instagram is important.
LOL. Views... okay, well, depends on your definition of "good." My room faced... a building. Let's just say the architectural highlights were minimal. If you're hoping for sweeping vistas of Hiroshima's cityscape, this ain't it. Check the room pictures online. You'll understand what you've signed up for. Maybe try to get a room that's on the higher floor to get the best view. The upside is you wouldn't want to spend much time in your room. Get out and about!
What about the staff? Are they friendly? Can they speak English?
The staff were lovely. Super polite, very helpful, even when I was probably being a pain. English proficiency varied, but they always tried their best, armed with those little translation devices that worked *surprisingly* well. They were always smiling and eager to help. And honestly, their genuine kindness (even in the face of a grumpy, elevator-less customer) made a difference. The front desk was super amazing. And the ladies who were doing the service was incredibly helpful, offering directions, and the like. It was not a language barrier at all.
So, final verdict. Would you stay there again? Be honest!
Hmmm... That's the million-dollar question, isn't it? Yes. I would. For the price, the location, and the, ahem, "character," it's a solid choice. I'm not expecting the Ritz-Carlton. I'm expecting a clean-ish room, a comfy bed, a decent breakfast, and a prime location. And the Tokyu REI Hotel delivers on all those things. But I'd also bring a suitcase full of patience, just in case that elevator has another "moment." It's a quirky hotel, a bit rough around the edges, but it's part of the charm. PlusQuick Hotel Finder

